Join us for our Christmas Eve service on Sunday, December 24 at 5pm at our usual location – St. Luke’s Lutheran Church on the Avenue in Hampden!
Fall is here! Join us for a weekend focused on caring for God’s creation:
September 16, 9am-12pm at St. Luke’s – help kids care for butterflies – we’ll do needed prep work on St. Luke’s (800 W. 36th St., 21211) grounds to get ready for a school project – planting a butterfly garden. Bring your favorite gardening gloves and a water bottle!
September 17 –
Reflect together on climate change – worship will include time to consider and be in conversation about what a Christian response to the planet looks like. Worship starts at 5pm on Sundays (800 W. 36th St, 21211 in the chapel), with a potluck to follow. RSVP with your potluck dish here on Meetup.
Assemble flood buckets for hurricane victims. Help with the tragic effects of climate change by contributing to an emergency kit. Follow this link to sign up to bring supplies.
This Sunday there will be thousands of people from all over the United Church of Christ visiting Baltimore for the national, once-every-two-years, church meeting known as General Synod. Instead of our usual service, six:eight will be joining up to take advantage of this once-in-a-lifetime chance to worship with people across the country in our own hometown. Learn more about General Synod by following this link.
We will be meeting at 2:15 in front of the Pratt Street entrance to the Convention Center. Want us to look for you? RSVP on our Meetup page here.
Our April community service event is helping Blue Water Baltimore with their annual Project Stream Clean cleanups across the city. We’re helping with a site in the Morrell Park neighborhood of Baltimore on Saturday, April 15, from 9am to noon. Details and RSVP here, or email Heather to RSVP. All ages welcome!
Our March community service event is running the bingo games at Keswick Multicare (nursing home) in Hampden again! Join us on Wednesday, March 22, from 6:45pm til 8:15pm. The seniors love having us there and we always have a great time. RSVP today!
Join us this Sunday, February 26, from 11am – 1pm to help clean up the Patapsco River! We’ll meet at the Pickall area of Patapsco State Park – the address is 8125 Johnnycake Road, Windsor Mill. Please RSVP on Meet-up here.
Clean-up is still happening along the river after last summer’s devastating flooding that swept through Ellicott City. Join us Sunday!
This year six:eight celebrated five years since our very first worship service! It’s amazing to think back on the many lives that have changed in these five years. To try to add up the conversations, the relationships, the volunteer hours, and the difference each of our folks make in their day-to-day lives, guided by God’s spirit, is an amazing task to consider.
This year, some of the shifts that have made a big difference in our life together have included setting up an online Meetup group to welcome new people, starting up a monthly “Mobile Check-in” for more community building outside of worship times, Conversation Sundays, and having a rotation of guest musicians in worship, which gives us more flexibility. We’ve also welcomed more kids to church and have been working on creative ways to give them a positive experience of worship.
Along with our support for the seniors at Keswick Multi-care/Nursing home, our service and justice work continue to center on the environment and addressing homelessness and hunger, both through our monthly volunteer projects and ongoing giving. Our 5-year anniversary gift to each other and those in need was six Church World Service flood buckets to help disaster victims.
Support of friends and family has meant so much for bringing six:eight to where we are now. Will you consider a gift of $30, $68, or $120? You can use this button to give via PayPal:
In the coming year, I’m sure that six:eight will have plenty more adventures in store. We’ll continue to connect people with each other, in our thoughtful and conversational worship services and in other community-centered meetings.
We’ll continue to connect people to God with study, prayer, conversation, ritual and music. And we’ll continue to connect people to living lives of loving service, one service project and one advocacy opportunity at a time. Your support today helps us maintain the momentum. Please give generously.
We’re holding our Christmas service on Christmas eve EVE! Please join us on Friday, December 23, at 5pm at St. Luke’s (our usual meeting spot) to celebrate the holiday.
We are not having any church service on December 24 or 25. We’ll return to our regular Sunday 5pm church services on January 1, 2017.
It’s advent season! Six:eight church is busy this month with our usual Sunday afternoon worship services and much more. We’re planning and preparing for a joyous Christmas with these events in December:
- Saturday, December 3 – Mobile check-in at 10am– Join the six:eight Social Club for a check-in and stroll packed with exercises designed to encourage reflection and gratitude. The journey begins at Play Cafe. Please arrive by 10:00 AM to allow for a discussion over some good coffee, and a walk beginning shortly thereafter. RSVP!
- Sunday, December 4 – St. Luke’s Courtyard Lighting. At 4:45pm, join our host congregation and our Hampden neighbors in ringing in Advent! Be ready for a tough parking situation as the Mayor’s Christmas Parade goes right through Hampden on the afternoon of 12/4, too!
- Sunday, December 11 – Christmas Season Potluck. Faithful friends who are dear to us, They gather near to us once more. The festivities begin right after 5pm church service is done!
- Sunday, December 18 – 1:30pm – Homeless Outreach– We’ll once again be heading down to The Fallsway in Baltimore to hand out fruit, water, and health kits to our homeless neighbors. Joining us again will be Tony Simmons of the homelessness speakers bureau to give us an update on the long-term needs and news facing the Baltimore homeless population. Please let Heather know if you want to donate/bring bananas, oranges, bottles of water, and/or health kit supplies. We want to make 20 health kits – here are the contents:
In a 1-gallon ziploc bag:
- pair of socks
- travel-size or medium toothpaste
- packet of wet wipes
- bar of soap in a plastic bag
- lotion and/or hand sanitizer
- 3-5 feminine products (women’s kits)
- Tuesday, December 20, 6:30pm – Christmas Caroling at Keswick Nursing Home- Come sing Christmas carols door-to-door (inside!) for the awesome senior citizens at Keswick Multicare in Hampden. Please RSVP!
- Friday, December 23, 5pm – Christmas Eve EVE Worship Service. We’ll be celebrating Christmas early this year instead of doing a regular Christmas eve service. Join us for a night service of wonder, beauty, and joy on the night before Christmas eve.
In November, we consider God’s call to us, personally and together. Sunday worship in this month includes stories about people facing decisions about their call and covenant – Jonah, Isaiah, Daniel, and the people of Israel. Join us on the journey Sundays at 5 pm!
Come listen to the great bluegrass music of these talented guest artists:
- November 13 – Chris Kiehne
- November 20 – Luke Chohany
We’ll also be planning and preparing for a joyous Christmas with these events in December:
- December 4 – St. Luke’s Courtyard Lighting. At 4:45, join our host congregation and our Hampden neighbors in ringing in Advent!
- December 11 – Christmas Season Potluck. Faithful friends who are dear to us, They gather near to us once more. The festivities begin right after church!
- December 18 – Homeless Outreach. We’ll be heading out in the early afternoon to hand out health kits, water and fresh fruit, to spread some holiday cheer!
- December 23 – Christmas Eve EVE. We’ll be celebrating Christmas early this year. Join us for a night service of wonder, beauty and joy!
Check back for more details!